Monday, October 10, 2016

Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (2014)



Number Rolled: 59
Movie Name/Year: Pokémon the Movie: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction (2014)
Tagline: When destruction rises, can life prevail?
Genre: Anime, Fantasy, Family
Length: 76 minutes
Rating: G
Production Companies: East Japan Marketing & Communications Inc., GAME FREAK, Oriental Light and Magic, Pikachu Project, Production I.G., Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, TV Tokyo, Taka Tomy
Producer: Kenichi Arai, Mitomu Asai, Ryo Fujita, Susumu Fukunaga, Nobuyuki Hosoya, Junya Ishmoto, Yasuteru Kamei, Yukio Kawasaki, Toshio Miyagawa, Takemoto Mori, Takuro Muratsubaki, Jun’ya Okamoto, Kanji Okubo, Satoshi Shimodaira, Katsuhito Yamauchi, Toshifumi Yoshida, Masanori Yumiya
Director: Kunihiko Yuyama
Writer: Hideki Sonoda, Satoshi Tajiri, Junichi Masuda, Ken Sugimori
Actors: Ikue Otani, Sarah Natochenny, Haven Paschall, Mike Liscio, Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld, Caitlin Glass, Aliver Wyman, Brittney Lee Hamilton, Lianna Marie Dobbs, Marc Thompson, Michele Knotz, James Carter Cathcart, Rodger Parsons

Blurb from Netflix: A princess calls upon Ash and his friends to help her find the energy-giving Heart Diamond, save her domain from its enemies and restore her kingdom.

Selina’s Point of View:
When the original Pokémon came out I was super on board. I played the games and watched the TV show/movies – though I never did pick up an interest in the trading card game. I always prefered the complexities of Magic: the Gathering.

Back then, I learned the first 151 Pokémon rather quickly and always played along with that silhouette game during commercial breaks.

Even now, at over thirty, I’m still into Pokémon. I play Pokémon Go pretty often. (There is no shelter from the storm! TEAM INSTINCT!) However, I did stop keeping up with the cartoon many, many years ago. As a result, I ONLY know the first 151 Pokémon – with a very minor sprinkling of the next generation. Very small. Like, maybe four or five not included in the first gen.

Anyway, when this movie came up I was really interested in seeing where Pokémon went after I stopped watching.

First thought I had was that I 100% prefer Brock and Misty to the sidekicks Ash has in this film. Of course, that could just be because I connected with them more. I also had some issue getting behind the thing where some Pokémon talk. That was reserved for Meowth and Mewtwo when I was watching. That made it difficult for me to connect to Diancie. It’s a stupid and minor thing, but I’m old and crotchety and I like my Pokémon to say their own name god damn it.

There really was nothing wrong with this film. It tugged at the right heart strings, it had the kind of action that kids love and that adults can tolerate without needing a glass of wine to get through it. I just felt such a disconnect from the newer Pokémon and the newer villains, that I had a hard time seeing it as anything but a general offering of nostalgia.

Credit to: FireXtremeID
Cat’s Point of View:
I’ve watched a few episodes of the TV series with my daughter; but this was my first Pokémon movie. Of course, my kiddo had already seen this movie and it was quite a feat to prevent her from bombarding me with spoilers. She was excited that I’d be watching this – even if she wasn’t up for watching the whole thing again with me.

The Pokémon Go game has become a staple in our household. We’re enjoying getting out and interacting with other players as we hunt down these critters and get a bit of exercise in the process. Because of this, I think I got an extra level of enjoyment out of the film because I was able to pick out the Pokémon that I was familiar with on the screen. There were many involved in the movie that aren’t in the game, though. (I’m hoping that changes. I want a couple of the adversary Pokémon, darn it.)

Before I chase that wild Pikachu down a random alley, though, I’ll get back to the movie.

I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect. I tend to get a little bored during the cartoon series.  I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t happen with the movie. Sure, it wasn’t the most sophisticated thing I’ve ever seen – but it’s aimed at younger kids. There are good messages here about friendship, perseverance, and self-confidence.

Fans of the Pokémon experience – whether the card games, video games, television shows, or mobile app – will likely really enjoy this movie and feel more of an emotional connection with it. For those that are unfamiliar with Pokémon, fear not. The movie gives enough information as it goes so that the viewer won’t get entirely lost.

This is definitely a good recommendation for a fun family movie that’s not all fluff.

Rotten Tomatoes Critic Score – None
Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score – 64%

Netflix’s Prediction for Selina – 3/5
Selina’s Trust-the-Dice Score3/5

Netflix’s Prediction for Cat – 3.5/5
Cat’s Trust-the-Dice Score3.5/5

P.S. Scenes during the credits. They are epilogue-esk.

Movie Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment